When Lions Roar

When Lions Roar: The Churchills and the Kennedys - Thomas Maier

"Politics are almost as exciting as war, and quite as dangerous," he observed. "In war, you can only be killed once, but in politics many times."

I am always interested in reading and learning more about Winston Churchill. This book really highlights the relationship between the Churchill family and the Kennedy family. The relationship started in the 30's and while it wasn't always friendly it shows how some of the greatest men of the 20th century interacted during some of our toughest times. Even though I've read about Winston Churchill I was unaware of just how much he and his family became involved with the Kennedys.

Great men came out of both the Kennedy family and the Churchill family and those great men spent their years alternating between a friendly relationship and one filled with animosity. This book does a great job covering that relationship and how it affected not only those families but history as well. I really liked that this book covered the history of each family and didn't just focus on the parts that concern both. I can't claim a vast knowledge of the Kennedys so it was interesting learning more about them.

This book is a really great book for a history buff (perhaps a Christmas gift?) and someone especially interested in reading more about the complex relationship between the Churchills and the Kennedys. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the galley.