Red Rising

Red Rising - Pierce Brown
My people sing, we dance, we love. That is our strength. But we also dig. And then we die. Seldom do we get to choose why. That choice is power. That choice has been our only weapon. But it is not enough.

So pretty much everyone and their mother, but me, loved this book. I came in not knowing what to expect but what I got was a book filled with characters that I could not relate to and did not like, and a plot that alternated between boredom and excessive gore used to ramp up the shock and awe.

I should have known that I would end up not liking this book when I started it and hated the beginning. I was thrown off by the fact that the main character, Darrow, is only sixteen and already married. The love between Darrow and Eo felt like puppy love. I also didn't like how the events in the beginning only seem to be something to motivate Darrow to do something he would never have done. I was just a bit baffled how things ramped up out of nowhere.

When Darrow infiltrates the institute with the kids from Gold I really started to get bored with this book. Besides my boredom there were also moments in this book that seemed unnecessarily gory. I did start to become more interested in the book towards the end but then Darrow has to go and make his big decision at the end that I hated.

Even though I didn't like this book I wouldn't discourage anyone else from reading it. Plenty of people liked this and you might too. Needless to say I won't be continuing on with this trilogy.