Against the Ropes

Against the Ropes - Sarah Castille
"I just need to know you’re there.” His rich baritone deepens “I don’t understand it, but you make me feel calm, grounded. I haven’t felt like that since …I was a teenager. I won’t let you run away again. If there is something bothering you, talk to me. I promise I’ll listen."

This book was definitely not what I thought it would be. I thought it would concentrate on the MMA fighting but really once Torment reveals a big thing that he had been hiding from Makayla the book turns into something else. Quite honestly this book at times this book could be a real hot mess. Between the overly dramatic characters and the fact that this book tried to throw in almost every contemporary romance cliche it could, my head was spinning at times.

As far as the main characters were concerned I didn't really like either Torment or Makayla for most of the book. Torment could be an absolute asshole. He was a complete over the top alpha and his jealousy and anger became irritating. Makayla was annoyingly weak at times. I honestly didn't really like her all that much until the end. I also don't really feel like the whole debt collection thing was all necessary.

I just didn't find anything all that unique in this book and I was disappointed by that because I did feel like it had a strong start. It really unraveled towards the middle but did get a bit better at the end.