The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I decided to read this book after it had been recommended to me by many people. I am definitely glad that I listened to those people. I am not usually a fan of science fiction but this book kept me captivated from cover to cover.When first starting the book I fell in love with the relationship between Katniss and Gale. I found myself hoping that they would grow from the sister-brother relationship they had into a romantic one (Ok, I'm a sucker for romance). But then romantic relationships were thrown into the back of my mind when Katniss is torn from District 12 and into the Hunger Games (well maybe not too far into the back of my mind, I really enjoyed the fake romance between Katniss and Peeta, even though for Peeta it wasn't fake.) The way Suzanne Collins describes everything within the Hunger Games I felt like I was right there with Katniss and Peeta. Throughout the games I was on the edge of my seat, and I absolutely sobbed when Rue died. I liked the twist to the games at the end, and can truly say that I was not expecting it.Overall I would recommend this book to anyone. It is filled with powerful characters and vivid images.