After Visiting Friends: A Son's Story

After Visiting Friends: A Son's Story - Michael Hainey I really connected with this book. I live in the Chicagoland area and know of some of the places that Michael Hainey talks about in this book. My mother would tell me stories about her childhood growing up on the South side of Chicago in the 60's and 70's and some of the stories that Hainey writes about his childhood are similar to my mother's (the smell of the meat-packing plants, playing kick-the-can, the riots during the Democratic Convention). I am almost certain that in this book Hainey mentions my great-grandfather on my father's side (well he doesn't mention him by name but I figured it out). I believe that when he mentions the man that they called "The Greek" that his mother and father used to buy "greasy sandwiches" from that it was my great-grandfather. From what I know of his life he ran a little shack in that exact area in those years that Hainey's father and mother worked for The Tribune.I was captivated by Hainey's quest to find out what really happened the night his father died. It was heartbreaking to see how it ended up affecting him throughout his life but I liked getting to see the peace it brought him to learn the truth. I would highly recommend this book to others, especially to book clubs.