A Burial at Sea (Charles Lenox Series #5)

A Burial at Sea - Charles Finch I won this book from a GoodReads first read giveaway. This is the first that I had heard of this series. There were a couple other books in the series before this book and I would have liked to have read them before this book, but it isn't necessary to do so to understand what is going on in the book. I love historical fiction and I love mysteries. That being said sometimes this book fell a little flat to me. It just felt like Charles Lenox's investigation of the murder(s) aboard the Lucy dragged on and on. It's a relatively short book but I felt like some of it could have been cut out. I didn't find the mystery of who had committed the murders to be that difficult to solve, maybe it's just me though. One thing that really irked me about the book though was when Billings was finally acknowledged as the murder and he just goes crazy. I didn't think the whole "I want to put my pocket knife in you! I want to put my pocket knife in you!" was necessary.Don't get me wrong the book did have some really good parts. I loved the relationship between McEwan and Lenox, in fact McEwan was my favorite character. The good definitely outwayed the bad.I would recommend this book to historical fiction and mystery fans. I think my overall experience with it would have been better if I had read the other books in the series before this one.