In the Bleak Midwinter (Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Series #1)

In the Bleak Midwinter: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alsyne Novel - Julia Spencer-Fleming This book is the first in the Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne series. This book was not what I thought it was going to be, and I haven't quite decided if that is a good or bad thing. So I am going to list what I enjoyed about the book and what I did not enjoy about the book.What I liked:-Chief of Police Russ Van Alstyne. He became my favorite character and was the most likeable character to me.-The plot seemed realistic and not too far-fetched.-The action at the end was my favorite part of the book. It was the most suspenseful and interesting part of the book.What I didn't like:-All of the religion and God. Yes I know that Clare is a priest but at points this almost seemed like Christian fiction to me.-Some characters were so annoying that they were unbelievable and hard to connect with (i.e The Burnses)-For being a mystery book there wasn't much suspense. The only real suspense I found in the book was at the end. Clare being chased at the gorge didn't feel suspenseful at all to me. There was too much wandering around and not enough action for it to be suspenseful.Overall I did like the book, and would recommend it to others. I will consider continuing on with the series, but after I read a sizable chunk of my TBR pile.*I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway, that it no way affects the content of my review.*