The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards I tried really really hard to like this book, I just couldn't. I thought that the whole idea the twins being separated, the one with Down Syndrome being sent away, and raised in two different families to be really fascinating. However once I started reading the book it just wasn't as intriguing as I was lead to believe it would be. The story starts as David Henry, a doctor with a past that he doesn't share with anyone, is taking his wife to his office to deliver their baby. The big surprise comes at his office that she was pregnant with fraternal twins. David realizes that something is wrong with the second baby, the girl, and realizes that the child has Down Syndrome. He then makes the decision to send the baby with the only other person in the office with him, the nurse, to take the baby to an institution. One thing leads to another and she ends up raising the baby herself.I found myself annoyed with most of the characters in the book. While I understood that she was grieving and believed her daughter to be dead, I couldn't stand Norah at all. Throughout the book I was hoping in my mind that maybe she'd just run away so I wouldn't have to read about her anymore. David wasn't much better in my mind. The only thing that kept me from giving up on this book was Caroline. I found myself cheering her on as she raises Phoebe and eventually falls in love and gets married. I would have loved the book to have had more about Caroline and Phoebe. There was quite a long stretch in the book where Caroline and Phoebe aren't mentioned and the reader is stuck reading about the failed marriage of Norah and David, and about Paul's whiny rebellious stage.To be honest I probably wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I have a hard time letting myself just give up in the middle of a book, and this is one book that I probably would have given up on if giving up didn't bother me so much.